Microsoft Security Essentials is antivirus software that provides real-time protection for your computer against different types of malicious software, such as computer viruses, spyware, rootkits, and Trojan horses. Unfortunately, Microsoft Security Essentials has stopped providing service on January 14, 2020, and is not available for download. But they will provide updates for existing users until 2023. So many computer users are uninstalling this security software from their computers. If you are looking for solutions to uninstall or turn off Microsoft Security Essentials then read this article. Our experts have shared few methods to turn off Microsoft Security Essentials. Let’s check them out.
How To Turn Off Microsoft Security Essentials
There are two proven methods available to disable Microsoft Security Essentials. These methods are very simple and you don’t require any professional knowledge to apply these methods.
Method 1 – Disabling Microsoft Security Essentials From The Security Settings
1. First, press the “Window + S” button together to open the search box
2. In the search box type Security and from the result click on the Microsoft Security Essentials to open it on your computer
3. When the app opens, click on the settings and a new dialog box will open
4. From the left of the dialog box click on the “Real-time protection” option
5. Now you will see the “Turn on real-time protection (recommended)” checkbox with a tick mark
6. Uncheck the “Turn on real-time protection (recommended)” option
7. Finally, save the change and reboot your computer
Method 2 – Turn Off Microsoft Security Essentials From PC Startup
1. First, press the “Window + R” button together to open the Run command box
2. Now type “msconfig” in the box and hit enter
3. A new dialog box will open and from there click the Startup tab at the top
4. Here you will see a list of different programs that start each time the computer opens
5. Now locate the Microsoft Security Essentials from the list and click on it
6. Now uncheck the checkbox to turn off the Microsoft Security Essentials
7. Then click on the apply button and then click ok
8. Finally, restart the computer
How To Uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials
If you want to uninstall the Microsoft Security Essentials from your computer then there are few very simple techniques available that you can follow and uninstall from your computer.
Method 1: Uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials Via Programs and Features
You will find all the installed programs of your computer in Programs and Features. You can easily uninstall any program from the Programs and Features. So if you want to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials via Programs and Features then follow these steps:
1. First, open the Programs and Features on your computer by holding Windows and X keys together
2. Now from the available options select “uninstall a program”
3. You will see all the installed applications here
4. Now locate Microsoft Security Essentials and select it
5. Then click on the “Uninstall” button
6. Follow the instruction and it will uninstall the Microsoft Security Essentials from your computer
Method 2: RemoveMicrosoft Security Essentials Using uninstaller.exe
This is a very simple method and you don’t have to be a computer genius to apply this method. Most of the computer application has uninstaller.exe file to uninstall the application and Microsoft Security Essentials is not an exception. So follow these steps:
1. First, go to the folder where Microsoft Security Essentials is installed
2. Now locate the uninstaller.exe file
3. Then click on the file and a wizard will appear to uninstall the Microsoft Security Essentials
4. Click on the Uninstall button and follow the instruction to uninstall the Microsoft Security Essentials from your computer
Method 3: Use The Uninstall Command From The Registry
When you install an application on your computer, Windows saves all the settings and information in the registry including the uninstall command. You can try the uninstall command to remove Microsoft Security Essentials from your computer. Follow these simple steps:
1. First, hold the Windows and R button to open the Run command
2. Now type “regedit” in the box and click OK
3. Then navigate the following registry key:
5. Now find the Microsoft Security Essentials
6. Then double click on the “Uninstall String” value, and copy its Value Data
7. Now past the value data on the Run command and click OK
8. Finally, follow the wizard to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials from your computer
I hope the above methods help you turn off the Microsoft Security Essentials on your computer. If you have anything to know about this topic then leave your question in the comment section. Our experts will get to you.
What Is Microsoft Security Essentials?
Microsoft Security Essentials, or MSE, is a software suite developed by Microsoft that is designed to provide protection to Windows-based PCs from viruses and other threats. MSE has been available to download since 2003 and it’s free for Microsoft customers. In the latest version, there are four components that include antivirus, antispyware, a firewall, and a host intrusion prevention system. The host intrusion prevention system helps guard against rootkits and password-protection schemes.
How Do I Turn Off Microsoft Security Essentials?
The most reliable way to disable Microsoft Security Essentials is to click the “Turn Off” button. This will not affect any of your other Windows settings, just Microsoft Security Essentials. You can also disable it by clicking on the “Set Program Access and Defaults” button, then choosing “Turn off Microsoft Security Essentials” from the list of installed programs.
How Do I Turn Off Microsoft Security Essentials On My Computer?
Microsoft Security Essentials is free antivirus software that installs as a default on Windows 8.1, 10, and Windows 7. In order to turn it off on your laptop, you must follow these steps:
In the Control Panel select Programs and Features from the menu.
Select Microsoft Security Essentials from the list of programs and click Uninstall.
What Does Microsoft Security Essentials Do?
When it comes to keeping your PC safe from viruses and malware, there is no better option than Microsoft Security Essentials. This free, lightweight antivirus program protects your computer from a variety of threats by constantly monitoring the data on your computer for any potential harm. It also updates itself with the latest virus definitions so you can be sure that all of the latest vulnerabilities are being addressed.