Every gadget you buy in today’s digital world can connect to the Internet. As a result, Wi-Fi has infiltrated our houses. It’s no surprise that most households have at least one Wi-Fi router. These networked gadgets are without a doubt, great technological applications. However, the EMF radiation released by Wi-Fi poses several health dangers to you and your loved ones, so it’s a double-edged sword.
The majority of individuals are unaware that close-range exposure to this radiation is unquestionably dangerous.
Therefore individuals must be aware of the hazards connected with Wi-Fi radiation, as well as the safe distance from Wi-Fi routers, which this article explores.
Is It Safe To Sit Near A Wireless Router?
When Wi-Fi routers release EMFs, they do not instantly cause diseases or harm. That is most likely why many people assume their emissions are harmless. However, contrary to common assumptions, long-term exposure to Wi-Fi router radiation can interfere with our internal systems. This exposure might eventually lead to diagnosable disorders, including cancer and neurological diseases.
Because many diseases take a long time to manifest, proving that long-term exposure to Wi-Fi router emissions is the direct cause. Wi-Fi radiation is classified as a class 2B probable carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) due to a lack of established research on the subject. According to this article and other studies, EMF radiation from Wi-Fi routers and other gadgets is regarded as dangerous.
There are other concerns and the cause of diagnosable disorders like cancer and other neurological diseases. Several additional investigations have discovered that Wi-Fi router emissions can harm cellular macromolecules such as proteins, lipids, and DNA.
In addition, research on both humans and animals was conducted to investigate the impact of 2.45 GHz Wi-Fi waves on their health. Radiofrequency radiation from Wi-Fi routers harms sperm count, motility, and DNA integrity in these investigations. It also caused degenerative changes, DNA damage, increased cell death, and reduced testosterone levels, among other things.
More animal investigations on the impact of Wi-Fi radiation on brain activity indicated that long-term Wi-Fi radiation exposure combined with stress results in anxiety-like behaviors. It does not affect spatial learning capacity or memory.
Calculate The Safe Distance From Wi-Fi Router
With all of the potential health risks associated with Wi-Fi exposure, it’s only natural that you’d want to place your home router in the most health-friendly location possible. What, however, is a safe distance?
Applying the inverse square rule of physics to establish an adequate distance would be an excellent place to start.
As per the inverse square law, exposure from an EMF or RF radiating source decreases considerably as your distance from the source is squared.
Conversely, the greater the magnitude of your exposure, the nearer you are to a radiating source, which in this case is Wi-Fi.
You assume that your Wi-Fi has a transmission power of 30 milliWatts (mW) based on this information. The inverse connection between the distance from the router and the power density must be considered while determining a safe distance.
Let’s do the calculation.
The Math Of The Inverse Square Law
The approximate power density function is P*G/4r2, where P represents transmission power, G means antenna gain, and 4r2 defines the sphere’s surface area.
Assume you have 30mW Wi-Fi router, and you are separated by 30cm and 1m, respectively. The following formula may be used to calculate the power density function:
Calculate 30/4(0.3)2 to achieve a power density of 26.5 for a 30 cm distance.
Calculate 30/4(1)2 for a 1m (100cm) distance to get a power density of 2.387.
You may use the power density to calculate the safe distance between you and the source of radiation. Wi-Fi router radiation spans from 30mW for low power transmitters to 500mW for high power emitters in terms of transmission power.
It’s also worth noting that the distances required might be greater depending on the antenna gain (G) amount. As a result, it might be anywhere between 1.3 and 7 times greater than the calculated numbers.
Using An EMF Meter
If arithmetic calculations aren’t your strong suit (which they aren’t for most people), invest in an EMF meter and use it to measure the amount of radiation emitted by your router at various distances.
The general rule is to strive for readings between 3mW/m2 and 6mW/m2. This reading usually is considered the safest for use in a home. This distance will vary based on your router’s transmission power.
You can have Wi-Fi coming at you from all angles if you live in an apartment complex or a community where the houses are either connected or close together.
You may place your router furthest away from you and other members of your family, only to be assaulted by Wi-Fi from the router on the opposite side of the external wall, right next to you.
You’ll need to think about other options for lowering your EMF radiation exposure in such a case.
An EMF meter helps measure all ambient radiation levels you get unintentionally exposed to in your home.
How To Check For EMF Radiation In Wi-Fi Routers
1. You may get readings for ambient radiation levels in your house Wi-Fi emf radiation levels by utilizing a high-quality EMF radiation meter. The reading might be 3 or less in houses with few devices, but it can rise to 9 in more technologically equipped households.
2. Take it from multiple rooms, including those that house your Wi-Fi routers, regardless of the derived base reading. This reading will help you determine the accuracy of your subsequent readings.
3. Would you mind turning on the Wi-Fi router and checking the signal strength while standing right in front of it? The value might be as high as 150 watts per square centimeter.
4. Step back a few steps. As you get further away from the EMF radiation source, you’ll see that the reading drops. Please keep track of this distance since it will help you relocate the router later.
5. You’ve reached a safe distance when your microwatts per centimeter squared drop below 350. The further you travel, the safer it becomes.
6. Using this information, you can calculate the safe distance between your Wi-Fi routers, allowing you to place them around your home strategically.
What Is The Best Way To Block Wi-Fi Radiation?
Now that you’re aware of the safe distance from Wi-Fi router radiation, it’s time to take action to protect yourself from the dangers of Wi-Fi exposure (and other electronic devices and even cell phones).
But first, you must comprehend the principle of Wi-Fi filtering for EMF safety. Blocking all types of radiation, including radiofrequency (RF), is a rare occurrence. It gets muted instead.
The slow reduction of force when radiation passes through a substance is attenuation.
1. Physically preventing Wi-Fi Routers From Emitting Radiation
You may physically block the RF radiation emitted by your Wi-Fi router in two methods.
So, how do you disable Wi-Fi on a physical level? This process includes employing a failsafe EMF shielding material (such as various metals) that attenuates up to 99 percent of EMF radiation.
1. Radiation Shielding Material: This is a one-of-a-kind cloth that has the unique ability to block nearly all radiation. You might block a considerable quantity of radiation by layering this material on top of your Wi-Fi router. And without degrading the signal’s quality. This cloth is helpful if you don’t want to turn off your router while it’s not in use.
2. One technique that prevents Wi-Fi from your router is to use radiation protection paint. It’s also excellent for separating you from your neighbors. The paint contains chemicals that make it a physical barrier to Wi-Fi router RF radiation. The highest degree of radiation shielding paint has a 36-decibel attenuation level (dB).
2. Wi-Fi Router Protection
1. This Wi-Fi router protector is a useful device that works similarly to the Faraday Cage. It prevents a large portion of the EMF radiation emitted by a Wi-Fi router, up to 95%. A router guard also reduces the distance between you and your router that is considered safe.
2. The beauty of this gadget is that it does not interfere with your Wi-Fi signal throughout your home.
3. Furthermore, at a range of up to 20 feet away, an effective Wi-Fi router guard monitors up to 6 microwatts per square meter. You may also observe that at a distance of 12 feet from your router, it measures up to 60 microwatts per square meter (at 20 feet away).
3. Turn Off Your Wi-Fi
The third technique to reduce Wi-Fi radiation is to switch off your router when you’re not using it, such as at night while you’re sleeping. As a result, your exposure to EMF radiation gets significantly reduced. Here are a few simple methods for turning off your Wi-Fi.
1. Set Your Wi-Fi Router’s Timer: It works with almost any router. It does, however, need more knowledge than utilizing a Mechanical Outlet Timer. Typically, you’ll go into your router and establish a schedule for it to turn on and off regularly. The advantage is that you can protect it with a password. Anyone with access to your router can tamper with a Mechanical Outlet Timer.
2. Switch To Wired Internet: If you want high-speed internet in your home without the EMF radiation that comes with Wi-Fi, this is an excellent long-term choice. Switching to wired Internet entails hardwiring your devices to your router with Ethernet wires. You may keep the Wi-Fi password when you have visitors or need it.
4. Avoid Using Signal Boosters.
High-powered Wi-Fi routers and signal enhancers should be avoided. Some can transmit a signal for hundreds of feet. More EMF radiation exposure is associated with a strong signal.
On the other hand, signal boosters are designed to extend your network across your house. However, this implies that there will be more radiation. As a result, it’s best to keep your coverage and devices to a minimum.
Is Wi-Fi a risk? Yes. However, now that you know the acceptable distance from Wi-Fi networks to decrease EMF radiation exposure, you won’t have to live without the luxuries at home.
While these routers make life easier in today’s technology age, the radiation they generate is harmful to our health. So, keeping a safe distance from your router, as well as the other methods of insulating yourself from EMF radiation outlined above, is the key to living a longer, healthier life. Health.