Do you desire to know how to improve your PlayStation 4 (PS4) Wi-Fi signal range and play or download games without hindrance?
You are in the right place. Sometimes we face several problems with a PS4 console while playing video games. What causes these issues? Poor Wi-Fi connection is the main contributor to the predicaments.
If you find yourself in such a situation, stop sulking and cheer up as there is a way out—resolve the issue by following a few troubleshooting tips that eventually boosts your console’s connectivity.
Before embarking on how to boost your PS4 Wi-Fi range, let’s find out what hinders its connectivity.
Root Causes Of Poor Wi-Fi Range On A PS4
Your PlayStation 4 might experience poor Wi-Fi connection due to the following reasons:
1. Overload of numerous devices downloading simultaneously.
2. Interference by barriers such as brick walls or any other structures. These barriers make it hard for the console to sense and link with the internet.
The good news is that you can remedy all these obstacles to enhance the console’s connectivity range. You can start with simple remedies before venturing into advanced ones.
The Best Ways To Enhance PS4 Wi-Fi Connectivity
The Wi-Fi signal strength impacts the functionality of a PS4. Your PlayStation 4 requires a strong Wi-Fi signal to play online games without any issues. If the strength of your PS4’s connectivity is poor, here are a few methods that will boost your console’s Wi-Fi connectivity.
1. Update The Software
Ensure the firmware in your PS4 is updated to the latest version to enjoy a hassle-free connection to the Wi-Fi. By updating the PS4 firmware, you will enhance Wi-Fi connectivity and ensure that gaming and downloading speed are top-notch. An updated software gets the best out of the PlayStation 4.
2. Troubleshoot The PS4 Wi-Fi Network
Before embarking on any measure, ensure that you troubleshoot your Wi-Fi network to determine the origin of the problem. In most instances, gaming speeds in your PS4 slag due to issues that you may troubleshoot without incurring extra expenses.
The upside of troubleshooting your Wi-Fi network is that you will figure out what hinders your gaming and downloading speeds and plan on appropriate action if you can’t solve the issue yourself.
Here is how to troubleshoot your PS4 Wi-Fi network to enhance its range and speed:
1. Configuring Your Router’s Settings: configuring your router’s settings might boost the Wi-Fi range of the PS4 if done correctly. First, you have to check the router’s settings to ensure that the software doesn’t hinder them in any way. Remember to keep the router’s frequency at 5Ghz to maximize connectivity.
You will achieve the best through proper router configuration as your PS4 will play online games and stream quality videos without network latency.
If you are wondering how to configure your PS4’s Wi-Fi router correctly, this is how:
1. Start by logging into the PS4 platform, then go to settings.
2. Locate network settings and choose the Wi-Fi option.
3. Choose the customization option and connect to your office or home Wi-Fi.
4. Always keep the settings automatic until DNS pops on the screen.
5. Then enter 126.96.36.199 as the primary DNS.
Upon completion of the setting and configuration process, the PS4’s range responds by improving tremendously.
Note that you can’t improve the range and speed more than what your plan is worth. Nonetheless, connectivity will improve.
2. Reboot The Router: in some instances, simply rebooting your router or modem might fix your PS4’s Wi-Fi range issues and enhance connectivity. While rebooting the router, it will be best to unplug the PS4 console and reboot it equally.
3. Disable The Remote Play: In rare instances, remote play hinders your PS4 connectivity by creating mini-network connections to available devices. Disabling this feature might fix connectivity issues as it enables the console to solely link to the current activity performed by your PS4.
When disabling remote play, go to Settings > Remote Connection Settings, then disable it in the enable remote play check box.
4. Change Wi-Fi Channel To 5 GHz: if you experience a troublesome PS4 Wi-Fi range, consider switching to 5 GHz. The 5 GHz network provides a solid signal to handle multiple devices connected to the network.
To change to 5 GHz network, go to Settings > Network > Setup Internet Connection > Use Wi-Fi > Easy. Go ahead and press the options button, select Wi-Fi Frequency Bands, choose 5GHz, and press X.
Suppose you are using a 2.4 GHz connection, ensure you disconnect other connected devices, including computers, consoles, and phones, from the Wi-Fi network to enhance your PS4’s connectivity.
How To Enhance PS4 Wi-Fi Connection
If you desire to play online games with your PS4, a strong and reliable Wi-Fi connection is required. Though you have an option to switch to a wired network for improved performance, your Wi-Fi connection needs to be top-notch if it is your preferred choice.
Suppose you have tried troubleshooting in vain; it is time you considered going for Wi-Fi range extenders. These devices speed up the PS4 game, and the network covers a large area and offers an enhanced network.
What Are Wi-Fi Extenders?
A Wi-Fi extender is a device that receives the signal from your router and strengthens it to reach the furthest corner of your premises or office. The extender is also called a booster or a repeater.
Extenders (Boosters) are wireless and can be placed strategically in your house to optimize the connection signal throughout your home.
If you have tried all remedies in vain, feel free to use the following extenders for better performance of your PS4:
The Best PS4 Wi-Fi Boosters Of 2021 And Beyond
1. NETGEAR AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender
No products found.
This extender comes with a double band and can support up to 750Mbps. Besides working in double bands, this range extender features two antennas that necessitate the dual-band signal operation.
The 750 Mbps speed runs PS4 games without hassles. Unlike single-band extenders that repeat the same signal and become problematic, dual-band boosters such as Netgear broadcast their signals on double bands that don’t interfere with each other.
The Pros Of NETGEAR AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender
Here is what we like about the Netgear AC Wi-Fi extender:
1. The booster features a dual-band which is works efficiently than single-band models.
2. The booster boasts a strong signal and runs at a maximum speed of 750Mbps
3. The device is small and plugs nicely into the wall.
The Cons Of NETGEAR AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender
Here is what we dislike about the Netgear booster:
The extender is not user-friendly, and it has installation challenges.
2. TP-Link AC2600 Wi-Fi Range Extender
No products found.
If you crave playing speedy games on your PS4, then the TP-Link AC2600 is your go-to range extender. The booster features a maximum speed of 2600Mbps and comes with four antennas. The device gets plugged into the wall and utilizes its four antennas to disperse Wi-Fi signals to all corners.
TP-Link AC2600 is dual-band, meaning its signal doesn’t encounter any disruption whatsoever. Besides this extender is the best in playing speedy PS4 games, it is also a perfect fit for XBOX ONE.
The Pros Of TP-Link AC2600 Wi-Fi Range Extender
Here is what we like about the TP-Link AC2600 Wi-Fi Range Extender:
1. The advanced speed of 2600Mbps enables you to get rid of game lag.
2. Signals are directed to all corners of the house, thanks to multiple antennas.
3. The device is compact.
The Cons Of TP-Link Wi-Fi Range Extender
Difficulty in placing if you lack a wall plug.
3. Linksys AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender
No products found.
Linksys AC1200 boasts a dual-band mode and runs at a maximum speed of 1200Mbps. Though the speed is inferior to the TP-link AC2600 range extender, it is still sufficient to run PS4 games and downloads smoothly.
The booster comes in a sleek and impressive design that effectively avoids blockage of other plug outputs. The unique repeater boasts an inbuilt spot finder that assists in locating an ideal spot for optimal coverage.
The Pros Of Linksys AC1200
Here is what we like about Linksys AC1200:
1. The extender has a sleek and striking design.
2. It is easy to plug into the wall socket, and it doesn’t block other plugs, making it easier to use other electronics.
3. Best signal courtesy of dual-bands.
Technical support is limited to one month only.
Choosing A Wi-Fi Booster For PS4
Follow these tips to narrow down the choices of the right PS4 Wi-Fi booster. You will also save time spent in the selection process.
When selecting the best PS4 Wi-Fi range extender, consider its coverage range. The best repeater should reach all corners, including those that don’t receive the signal due to distance and other factors.
Choose a stronger extender that meets your needs without further hassles. After all, the purpose of the device is to improve connectivity.
Mbps stands for megabits per second, and it determines the amount of data that travels through a connection at any given time.
Choose an extender with higher Mbps ratings, but ensure the speed is compatible with your internet service.
Single Band Or Dual-Band?
Go for a dual-band extender as it provides better connectivity than the single band counterpart. While single-band extenders repeat signals over the same band, compromising the quality, dual-bands avoid signal conflicts by repeating them in different bands.
Internet connectivity plays an integral role in determining the performance of a PS4 device. If the device’s Wi-Fi range is poor, it leads to poor connectivity, hence poor gaming or video streaming. When faced with such a situation, start with troubleshooting, but if this fails, consider buying a Wi-Fi booster.