Nowadays video is a very important element of marketing and video marketing has become more popular among marketers, influencers, digital content creators, etc. Video marketing is the future of marketing and in 2020; almost 80% of the world’s internet traffic is expected to be on video content. So if you want to keep yourself up to date with the latest trend then you should think of entering into video editing with the help of the best free video editor. There are many free video editors available and among them, OpenShot and Shotcut are the two most popular video editors. So if you are wondering which video editor you should use then keep reading this article. Here I have made a comparison between the OpenShot and Shotcut so that you can easily choose one as per your needs.
OpenShot Video Editor
OpenShot video editor is a free and open-source video editor that supports platforms like Linux, Haiku, macOS, and Windows. This software was first released in August 2008 and its functionality is implemented in a C++ library, libopenshot. Since 2016, OpenShot is now a cross-platform application. OpenShot is also available as Portable Apps for Windows since 2020. This is an excellent video editor and with it, you can easily learn the art of video editing. With this app, you can easily scale, resize, and trim clips as well as can mix audio for highly professional results. If you are trying to do some basic video editing to upload the video on your social media channels such as YouTube or Instagram, then OpenShot can be an ideal tool.
This video editor software is packed with some excellent editing features that make OpenShot unique from all other free editors available in the market. These features include chroma key function, basic 3D animation tools for adding snow, text or lens flares to the frames, etc. Moreover, it also provides unlimited tracks and layers and the desktop version is integrated with drag and drop support. This video editing software will be an excellent choice for simple projects. However, OpenShot lacks professional editing features that may give a cinematic look to your videos. Therefore, this simple video editor software is useful for editing simple videos and cannot be used by filmmakers.
1. OpenShot has a user-friendly, intuitive interface that allows users to explore all the editing features in a convenient way
2. This video editor allows previewing the projects from a common window
3. It offers a varied range of seamless transitions
4. The editor supports excellent audio editing features to improve the audio quality of the video
5. OpenShot has features that provide additional boosting that increase the effectiveness of the video
6. OpenShot is a cross-platform video editor, with support for Linux, Mac, and Windows
7. OpenShot has many easy ways to cut the video as your requirements
8. With this video editor, you can fade, slide, bounce, and animate anything in your video project in a convenient way
9. The video effect engine lets you remove the background from your video, invert the colors, adjust brightness, and more
10. There are built-in templates available that you can use on your video
11. You can render beautiful 3D animated titles and effects, such as snow, lens flares, or flying text
12. OpenShot is available in 70+ languages and you can translate online with LaunchPad
1. The engine of OpenShot has lagged and crashing issues
2. This video editor is not GPU accelerated for encoding or decoding videos
3. You can’t use OpenShot as movie-making editing software
Shotcut Video Editor
Shotcut is also, a free open source cross-platform video editing application that supports platforms like Microsoft Windows, Linux, macOS, and FreeBSD. This video editor was first released in November 2004 and the latest version was released on June 29, 2020. Shotcut is a more advanced video editor compared to OpenShot and you can use Shotcut to create 4K quality videos. It is an excellent video editor for beginners and with it, they can easily create professional-quality videos. With this editor, you can mix and match resolutions and frame rates within a project. It has native timeline editing capability which makes the software redundant to proceed with video import.
Shotcut Video Editor Has A Number Of Video And Audio Filters. They Are:
1. Format support through FFmpeg
2. Frame-accurate seeking for many formats
3. Webcam and audio capture
4. Network stream playback (HTTP, HLS, RTMP, RTSP, MMS, UDP)
5. EDL (CMX3600 Edit Decision List) export
1. Audio scopes
3. Peak meter
5. Spectrum analyzer
6. JACK transport sync
1. HTML5 as source and filters
2. Color grading tools
4. Wipe transitions
5. Track compositing/blending modes
6. Speed and reverse effect for clips
1. Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
2. Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
3. Webcam capture
4. Audio capture to system audio card
5. Capture (a record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, and Windows DirectShow devices
6. Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
7. DeckLink SDI keyer output
8. OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating-point linear per color component
1. This video editor provides an outstanding collection of audio
2. This video editor comes with lots of video filters for creating a professional-level video
3. Shotcut offers features like video stabilization and chroma-keying,
4. With this video editor, you can make overlays, fixes lens distortion, and do many more things
1. This video editor is not supported by Android or iOS devices
2. Shotcut doesn’t support subtitles files in SRT or SUB format
3. There is no stock music available in this software
4. This video editor lacks a VFX or color grading tool
Comparison Between OpenShot And Shotcut
|OS Support||Linux, Mac, Windows||Linux, Mac, Windows|
|Hardware Acceleration||Experimental support||OpenGL via Movit and WebGL via WebVfx|
|Speed Adjustment||Support||Not Support|
|Audio Tools||Support||Not Support|
|HD Resolution||Not Support||Support|
|Editing Features||Multiplatform Animation & Key Frameworks Cut Videos Audio Waveform Unlimited Tracks 3D Animation Video Effects Video Editing||Multiple Audio Features Cross-Platform Display & Monitoring Video Effects Codec Independent Wide Format Support Multiple Output Options Better Compression Of 4K Footage 24 Built-In Basic Wipe Style Transitions|
Both OpenShot and Shotcut are free to download and easy to use. Furthermore, both of them have pros, cons, and features that make them stand out among other video editor software. Now, it is time for you to make a decision and pick video editor software that suits your requirements. Let us know which video editor you have picked and why.
Why Should I Use Shotcut Over OpenShot?
Shotcut, a video editor for Linux and Mac, has quickly gained popularity in recent years. Aside from its ease of use and familiarity with computer users, Shotcut also has a robust set of features that make it the perfect choice for desktop video editing. These include multi-track audio editing with up to 8 channels, 3D compositing, video masks and matting tools, advanced color correction capabilities, and more.
What Is The Difference Between OpenShot And Kdenlive?
OpenShot and Kdenlive are two popular open-source video editing programs that can be used to edit and create videos. The differences between the OpenShot and the Kdenlive software, as well as how to use each program.
OpenShot is a free, open-source video editing program designed with an intuitive user interface. It has a powerful set of tools for compositing, effects, transitions, and color correction.
Why Is OpenShot Better Than Shotcut?
Why is OpenShot better than Shotcut? Many people in the video editor community have a strong preference for one over the other, but in my opinion, OpenShot has a lot going for it. First, it’s free and open source. That means that not only is it free to use, but anyone can improve on or add features to it. In addition, OpenShot offers more standard editing functions than Shortcut does.
How Do I Download The Latest Version Of OpenShot?
Have you been looking for the latest version of OpenShot? You can download it by following these simple steps:
1) Choose the appropriate link and click on that.
2) Click on the “Download” button in the top right corner.
3) Now, choose how to open the file and click “OK”.
4) Once this is done, you should have a .deb file downloaded onto your computer.