You are on your favorite social media app, and you just took the cutest photo. On the image, you are gorgeously sun-kissed, and you are breathing life and beauty, and before you post it, you add an app-based filter. However, as soon as it loads and shows, you begin to hate everything about the Blush and Retro additions.
When that happens, how will you remove the extra effect? To remove filters from photos, download a photo-editing tool like Snapseed to reverse the effects. That way, you can experience the feel-good feeling again.
In this article, we at TechBiva will help you navigate through the popular photo-editing app, Snapseed. It is a free app by Google LLC available on both Android and iOS. We will then look at more related questions, exposing you to tips and tricks of removing other things like doodles. In the end, you will be an expert editor, which will be a win-win for both of us. So, if that sounds cool, let us explore the topic.
TechBiva 101: Filters are many, but most change contrast, brightness, tone, or texture. For example, the Retro filter reduces brightness and color to bring in the black-and-white feeling.
Using Snapseed To Remove Filters From Photos
If you do not have Snapseed on your phone, you can download it from Google Play Store or Apple App Store. We have chosen Snapseed to answer your question because it is free to use. It can be daunting to work with it, but we’ve got you. Here, you will get step-by-step guidance, which will help toss that filter away.
Once you have installed the app, follow these steps to remove filters from all photos:
1. Tap the Open button in the Snapseed app.
2. Then, Open From Device to access the filtered image.
When you have successfully opened the app, Snapseed will provide two editing areas, Tools and Looks. Of course, you can always switch between the two at the bottom of your screen.
3. Depending on the filter you want to remove, here are the options under each editing area.
Tools: Tune Image, Details, Curves, White Balance, Healing, Brush, Tonal Contrast, Vintage Drama, and others
Looks: Portrait, Smooth, Pop, Accentuate, and others
Let us assume that you want to filter back your image to a perfect color and exposure:
4. Once you have uploaded the dull photo, tap on Tune Image under the Tools section. When you do, many options will show, including Highlights and Shadows.
5. To brighten the image, tap on brightness and drag the slider upward. You will immediately see the effects.
TechBiva 101: While Snapseed may be an excellent editing app, it may not restore your filtered photo to its whole and original self. Most times, filters are permanent changes on pictures, so it would be impossible to try removing them.
If you would like to try out other apps, click on this Reddit thread that contains 186 photo editing tools and apps.
How Do I Remove All Filters From A Photo?
It is nearly impossible to remove all filters from photos. To understand that, you would have to know how filters work.
When a filter is applied, the original photo experiences addition or subtraction, like ‘mathematizing’ an image. Then, when you publish and process the filter, the ‘mathematical’ effect remains. That way, the new picture adopts a unique style with permanent changes.
Can You Remove Snapchat Filters From A Photo?
You captured a snap on Snapchat, added some filters, and saved it. Now, it does not look as good as it was, and you want to dump the filters. What do you do? Well, you follow these steps:
1. Open the Snapchat app on your phone.
2. Then, go to Memories to see that snap you want to un-filter.
3. When you find it, tap to open it.
4. On the top-right, tap on the three buttons to show a menu at the bottom of the screen.
5. On the menu, tap on the Edit Snap button. The image will appear without the filters. When you swipe left, you will see it again, but with other filters.
6. Edit it to perfection, and then tap on the Done button at the top left.
How Do I Remove Filters From Photos App On Your iOS Phone?
iPhones have the Photo app, which may come in handy when removing filters and getting original images back. Here are the steps you can follow to undo any effects that someone made on a photo:
1. From your iPhone’s home screen, open the Photos app.
2. Then, tap on Album and pick out the edited image.
3. From the top right corner, tap the Edit button.
4. Now, you can use editing tools to reverse changes on the filters.
5. If you are not good at manual editing, tap on the Revert, then Revert to Original.
And you’re done. You have successfully used the iPhone Photos app to remove all filters.
Can You Remove Instagram Filters From Photos?
Yes, by using the Normalize app. From its name, you learn that it brings the filtered image back to normal.
Normalize is an iOS app that corrects images to make them detailed and vibrant. Therefore, if you want the photos you filtered to get a more realistic look, try it. It sells for as little as $0.99, but its effect is commendable, even by frequent readers of The Verge. Among others, Normalize can do the following:
1. Neutralizing white balance
2. Removing immoderate contrast
3. Undoing color cast
Another App that Can Still Do the Job: Adobe Photoshop
Instagram filters may be a big deal, but Adobe Photoshop is bigger. You will only need to download and install it, and then follow these steps:
1. After uploading the image on the software, go to Enhance and then Adjust color.
2. There, choose Adjust Color to Skin Tone.
3. Select and let the changes take place.
If the photo still does not look like the original one, keep trying other filter options like:
1. Removing a Color cast
2. Decreasing the saturation levels
Using those Adobe features should get your image back to normal.
How Can You Tell If Someone Is Using A Filter?
These days, people have gotten better at editing their images to perfection. That makes it harder for us to see through the filters. But, you can always pin down an edited photo if you have seen the person in real life or another picture. With their actual, human image in mind, you should know if they have filtered their photo or not.
Also, you should check if the brightness is exaggerated. If it is over the regular line, that’s a layered photo!
TechBiva 101: There’s no one way of telling if someone has filtered their photos. But, by just looking, you can separate original and made-up images.
How Do You Remove Doodles From A Picture?
To remove scribbles, notes, and doodles from a picture, you can use the TouchRetouch app. For about $2, you will be able to use these tools to clean up the image:
Although all the tools are excellent, using the brush will yield the best results.
Once you install the app, upload your image, and run the brush over the place with doodles. Then, tap Go, which will prompt TouchRetouch to start processing the photo.
Now, you are ready to remove all the filters you can. Snapseed is a good start, and it can help you learn more than you had anticipated. Also, it is quite a steal as a free app since it gives you tools that are priced on other platforms.
As you edit your photos back to originality, do not expect too much, seeing that some filters are irreversible. However, try to use as many photo-editing tools as you can if you desperately want to change things. You may yield good results, and even better, become a pro at working on images.
And we’re done!
If you enjoyed reading the article, please share it with other fans of filters. Indeed, many on Instagram and Snapchat cannot get back their original photos, but you can now. So, do them a huge favor and bring them in.
For any comments and compliments, direct your energy in the boxes below. And before you leave, check out these exciting topics:
1. What Is The Difference Between Photoshop CC And CS6?
2. How To Select All Photos On iPhone – Step By Step Guide
3. Can The Smart Phone Camera Improve The Quality Of Pictures?)
Thanks for getting here, and we will see you in the next one!