Charging your Apple Watch is simple and doesn’t take too long! It may take an average of between 1.5 to 2.5 hours. An Apple Watch can be helpful no matter where you are. It can track your fitness and help you reach your goals by monitoring your activity. It can also alert you to new messages and let you know when someone is trying to contact you.
Whether running at the park, going for a casual walk, or hitting the gym, an Apple Watch gives you easy access to needed information. But it needs to be charged frequently to keep working correctly and accurately.
The Key Takeaways
- It takes an average of 2.5 hours to charge an Apple Watch 5 from 0% to 100% charge.
- Charging your Apple Watch by plugging it into the wall outlet is faster since the outlet provides a lot of power.
- Apple Series 6 takes about 1.5 hours to charge from 0% to 100%. You’ll require a 2.0 amp USB power adapter and the included Lightning to USB cable.
- To charge an Apple Watch 5 from 0% to 80%, it takes an average of 1.5 hours, but it takes longer time if you use a 1A adapter.
- Ensure you use an authentic Apple Watch charger. Otherwise, If you’re using a third-party wireless charger, it might not charge as quickly as the authentic one.
How to Charge An Apple Watch
Suppose you’ve just got your hands on an Apple Watch; congratulations! You’re now the proud owner of one of the most popular wearable devices on the market. But before using your new gadget, you need to charge it. Here’s what you should know about charging your Apple Watch.
Assuming you’re starting from 0%, it takes around 2.5 hours to charge an Apple Watch Series 5 to 100%. Here’s what you must know about charging your Apple Watch, including the different ways you can do it and how long it takes.
Charging Via Magnetic Charger: It takes approximately 2.5 hours to fully charge a completely dead watch via a magnetic charger that comes with the device.
Charging Via Computer or Laptop Charge time is also roughly 2.5 hours if you plug in via USB-C cable connected to a computer or laptop with internet access, but not running any other programs simultaneously (that will eat up battery power).
Charging Via Wall Outlet: The fastest way to recharge is by plugging into a wall outlet and providing as much power as possible (240v), so it can be charged quickly.
The Duration it Takes to Charge an Apple Watch
Depending on the model of your Apple Watch, it can take anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours to fully charge. Here is the Duration it takes to charge each model:
Charging Apple Watch Series 7
It takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours to charge an Apple Watch from 0% to 100%. Using a Qi-certified charger, you can charge your watch wirelessly.
To charge your watch using a wireless charger, place it on the charger with the display facing up. You can use the Magnetic Charging Cable or a compatible third-party option. If your watch is low on power, a Power Reserve mode will keep it running for 72 hours.
Just press the side button until you see the Power Reserve screen. To turn off this mode, press and hold the side button again until you see an Apple logo appear.
Charging Apple Watch Series 6
The answer depends on the model if you’re wondering how long it takes to charge an Apple Watch. For Series 6, it takes about 1.5 hours to charge from 0% to 100%. You’ll need a 2.0 amp USB power adapter and the included Lightning to USB cable.
Make sure your watch is off before you begin charging it. If you’re using a computer or laptop to charge, you can plug the cable into one of the USB ports.
You’ll know when your watch is fully charged because the red ring at the top will turn green. When you’re done charging, be sure to unplug your Apple Watch by pressing down on the connector while pulling it up at the same time.
Apple Watch 5
Assuming you’re starting from 0%, it’ll take around 1.5 hours to charge your Series 5 to 80%. If you’re using a 1A adapter, it’ll take a bit longer, closer to 2.5 hours. From there, topping off the last 20% will only take another 30-40 minutes. So, you’re looking at 3-4 hours to charge your watch from the dead to full.
The Duration it Takes to Charge an Apple Watch With a Magnetic Charging Dock
It takes around two and a half hours to charge an Apple Watch with a magnetic charging dock. Here are some things to remember when charging your watch:
- It’s best to use the Apple-provided magnetic charging dock.
- Make sure that the back of the watch is clean before you place it on the dock.
- It’s normal for the charging icon on the watch face to pulsate while charging.
- Your watch needs service if you see a red exclamation point next to the battery icon.
- You can check your watch’s battery level anytime by swiping it from the bottom of its face.
If you have trouble reading the watch because of low visibility or darkness, hold down the side button until you feel haptic feedback. The display will show Brightness and Darkness buttons; pressing one of these will adjust how dark the screen is. If all else fails, try to find some light!
Note: If your Apple Watch starts running out of power and reaches about 10% battery life left, it’ll send push notifications reminding you that it needs to be charged.
The Long it Takes to Charge an Apple Watch Using a Wireless Charging Mat
Assuming you’re starting with a completely dead watch, it’ll take around two and a half hours to charge your Apple Watch using a wireless charging mat. But there are a few things to keep in mind:
- First, your watch will charge more slowly the more battery life it has left.
- If you’re using a third-party wireless charger, it might not charge as quickly as the one that came with your watch.
Ways to Quickly Charge Your Apple Watch
- Use the included magnetic charging cable and power adapter: Just plug the cable into the back of the watch, then plug the adapter into a wall outlet or USB port.
- Use a wireless charger designed for the Apple Watch: These chargers use inductive charging, so no cables are required. Simply place your watch on the charger, and it will start juicing up.
- If you have an iPhone with Qi wireless charging, you can use its charging pad to charge your Apple Watch. Just rest your watch on top of your phone (make sure the back of the watch is facing up) and let it do its thing.
- Another option for quickly charging your Apple Watch is a portable battery pack for USB-powered devices.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does a Charged Apple Watch Last Before Recharging?
When your Apple Watch is fully charged, you can expect it to last up to 18 hours before recharging. However, this varies depending on how you use your watch. For instance, your battery will drain quickly if you use it for GPS tracking or other power-intensive activities.
To prolong the life of your watch’s battery, disable any unnecessary features, such as always-on display or raise-to-wake. You can also enable Power Saving Mode to limit some of the watch’s features but can help extend its battery life.
How Can I Use My Apple Watch After Fully Charging it?
Once your Apple Watch has been fully charged, you can use it for up to 18 hours before needing to charge it again. If you’re using your watch heavily throughout the day, you may need to charge it more frequently. Here are some tips to help you extend the battery life of your watch:
- Avoid using apps that drain a lot of battery power.
- Dim the screen or use Auto-Brightness to help conserve power.
- Turn off features you don’t need, like Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. These options can be found in Settings > General > Activate on Wrist Raise.
- Reduce Motion & Background App Refresh by turning them off in Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion & Background App Refresh.
- If you need GPS tracking, go into Settings > Privacy & Security and enable Location Services (and remember to turn this setting back off when you’re done).
Can I Use my Apple Watch While Charging It?
You can use your Apple Watch while charging, but some features may not be available. For example, you won’t be able to track your fitness activity or use Siri. However, you’ll still be able to receive notifications for calls, texts, events, and reminders on the watch.
What Happens if I Leave My Charger Plugged In?
If the charger is plugged in for too long without being connected to a device, it could damage the device or charger. It’s also worth noting that if your phone battery is low when you plug in the charger cable from your iPhone, there might not be enough power to charge both devices simultaneously.
The Bottom Line
If you’ve never charged an Apple Watch, you might wonder how long the process takes. Here’s what you should know about charging your Apple Watch:
A full charge will take a little less than two hours if your watch is on 80% or higher battery life. The first time you charge your watch, it will only take about one hour because the battery is at 100%.
When you’re out of juice and need to charge your watch on the go, just plug in a lightning cable from any iPhone 5 or newer model into the USB power adapter that came with your watch or any USB port (MacBook Pro or PC) with a high-power USB port. However, charging with a laptop could take up to three hours since these devices don’t offer as much power as a power adapter plugged into an outlet at home.
Reference 1: https://www.apple.com/watch/battery/#:~:
Reference 2: https://screenrant.com/apple-watch-battery-charge-how-long-fast-trickle-explained/