Operating System (OS) is a very important part of computer setup and its system software that acts as an interface between computer hardware and software as well as provides other common services for computer programs. Nowadays most computers have Microsoft Windows or macOS as an operating system. Very few computers run on Linux-based OS. But there are lots of free operating systems available that many computer users are not aware of. Many of these OS provides more features and better security than Windows or macOS. Keep reading the article if you are interested to know about some of the best free operating systems for your computer.
7 Best Free Operating Systems In 2021
1. Microsoft Windows
Features Of Microsoft Windows
1. It has a unique and user-friendly interface that ensures easy navigation. There is a start menu that includes options and represents other applications.
2. MS-Windows has a Task View feature that allows a user to switch between multiple workspaces at once. This feature works by displaying all the open Windows.
3. It comes with two separate interfaces, one for the mouse and keyboard. There is a “Tablet Mode” available and it is designed for touchscreens.
4. Microsoft Windows has multifactor authentication technology that provides higher security like BIN, PIN, Fingerprint recognition, etc.
5. This operating system automatically compresses system files to reduce the storage footprint.
Ubuntu is an open-source Linux-based operating system that comes with packed features you would expect is an OS. This operating system is best for organizations, schools, and home use. This operating system is completely free to download and use. This OS is available in three editions: Desktop, Server, and Core for the Internet of things devices and robots. The first version of this OS was released on October 20, 2004. It is written in Python, Java, C, C++, C#.
Features Of Ubuntu
1. Ubuntu is free to download, an open-source OS that a user can use and share with others.
2. This OS has a built-in firewall and virus protection software, which makes this OS one of the most secure OS you can use for your computer.
3. This operating system includes all the essential applications, like an office suite, browsers, email, and media apps.
4. You will get long-term support with five years of security patches and updates.
5. Ubuntu is fully translated into over 50 languages and includes essential assistive technologies.
6. This OS is compatible with all the latest laptops, desktops, and touch screen devices.
3. Mac OS
This operating system is mostly used in all Apple devices. The latest version of the Mac operating system is macOS 10.15 and it is also known as macOS Catalina. This operating system is packed with features that define innovation. This OS is developed and marketed by Apple Inc. since 2001. macOS is the second most used operating system after Microsoft Windows. This OS is widely used in desktops, laptops, and home computers, etc. The Mac operating system is free to use with occasional updates available from the developers.
Features Of MacOS
1. macOS features dark mode and it provides a more dramatic interface for your desktop that looks easier on the eyes.
2. It’s a dynamic operating system so you can automatically organize your desktop files by kind, date, or tag.
3. This OS features a continuity camera so you can easily scan the document from your iPhone and it will automatically appear on your mac computer.
4. There is an app store available from where you can download and install all the required app to your macOS-based computer.
5. It comes with pre-installed iTunes that allows users to search for songs with few lyrics.
6. The updated firmware prevents websites from tracking your Mac PC so you don’t have to worry about online security.
Fedora is another open-source Linux-based operating system that gives Ubuntu’s open-source features a run for the money. Fedora is a reliable and user-friendly OS and if you are looking for a free powerful operating system then you should consider using the Fedora. This OS is compatible with hardware, clouds, and containers that enable software developers and community members to build tailored solutions for their users. It’s a subsidiary project of IBM and the first version was released on November 6, 2003.
Features Of Fedora
1. This operating system has a unique user interface that allows the developers to focus on their code on Gnome 3 environment.
2. This OS features a complete open-source toolbox with languages, tools, and utilities that you can access with a simple click or command.
3. With this OS you can dig into powerful virtualization tools to get virtual machines up and running.
4. Fedora supports Open Container Initiative (OCI) so you can containerize your own applications or deploy applications according to your requirements.
5. This operating system is best for developers in the corporate environment.
6. Fedora OS features automatic updates and it’s a minimal, container-focused operating system.
If you are looking for an operating system for large workload processing, managing multiple databases, etc. then Solaris is the best option for you. It’s a UNIX-based, completely free operating system that was originally developed by Sun Microsystems in the mid-’90s. This OS was renamed Oracle Solaris after Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems in 2010. Some other key features of this OS are Dtrace, ZFS, and Time Slider. This OS gives you the strongest backward compatibility guarantee in the industry. So you don’t have to worry about your application’s compatibility with this operating system. It’s a cloud-friendly OS and helps you run your cloud infrastructure reliably, securely, and efficiently.
Features Of Solaris
1. This operating system provides the most advanced security features that include process and user rights management so that you can easily secure mission-critical data.
2. Solaris ensure indisputable performance advantages for web, database, and java-based services.
3. This OS provides high-performance networking and you won’t require any kind of modification which is very convenient.
4. It has an excellent capacity for managing large file systems and databases.
5. This operating system provides seamless inter-operability so that you can easily solve hundreds of hardware and software problems.
6. Chrome OS
Features Of Chrome OS
1. With the integrated media player a user can play MP3s, view JPEG, and handle other multimedia files while offline.
2. This OS supports remote application access and virtual desktop access.
3. Chrome OS is compatible with all Android devices.
4. You can run Linux-based applications on this operating system.
5. This OS supports offline access so you can easily get access to your documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and emails when you are offline.
CentOS is a Linux-based community-driven free software for computer platforms and it is functional with its upstream source, Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It was first released on May 14, 2004. CentOS Linux is developed by a team of core developers and it provides Long-term support to its user. This OS provides robust platform management for computer users. This operating system is best for developers who are looking for an OS to perform their coding tasks. It also provides excellent features for general users. If you are looking for a stable, predictable, manageable, and reproducible OS then CentOS is the right option for you.
Features Of Chrome CentOS
1. Best OS for developers and coders who are looking to build, test, and release their applications.
2. CentOS provides advanced networking, compatibility, and security that many popular operating systems lack.
3. This operating system provides seamless inter-operability so that you can easily solve hundreds of hardware and software problems.
4. This operating system provides some of the most advanced security features in the world that include process and user rights management. This feature allows a user to secure mission-critical data.
An operating system is considered as the fuel of a computer so that your computer runs conveniently. So make sure you choose the best operating system for your computer. If you use your computer for general works like gaming, browsing, watching movies, then Microsoft Windows is the best option. For business and other complex works, Linux and UNIX-based OS is the appropriate option.
What Is An Operating System?
An operating system is a program that manages the hardware and software of a computer. Operating systems are often referred to as OS, which stands for the operating system. The OS controls how the computer interacts with its environment, including other computers, people, and devices. Linux is one type of operating system that differs from others in certain ways. It has an open-source license rather than a commercial license and it isn’t owned by any single company or organization.
What Are The Top Free Operating Systems In 2021?
Technology changes every year, and this leads to a change in operating systems. The top free operating systems for 2021 are going to be Linux, Windows 10, Mac OS X, Android, and iOS. These operating systems bring something unique to the table for different computer users.
Linux is a very popular open-source software system with over 13 million users as of 2018. It has been around since 1991 and continues to grow in popularity because there are no license fees for its use.
All three operating systems provide cutting-edge technology for their users.
What Is The Best Free Operating System?
There are plenty of free, open-source operating systems that you can use. One of the most popular is Ubuntu, which includes both a desktop and server version. It’s highly customizable and perfect for all types of computers. Another popular operating system is Linux Mint, an Ubuntu-based operating system with customization options that rival Windows 10. Several other free, open-source systems exist as well, including Debian and Arch Linux.
Which Operating Systems Are Free?
Operating systems are available for free, but some are more readily available than others. For example, openSUSE is a Linux-based operating system that can be downloaded on their website. Windows also has a free version that can be downloaded from the Microsoft website. Operating systems come in different forms, but they have one thing in common: they’re all free to download and install.
What Is A Free Operating System?
A free operating system, or FOSS, is a computer operating system that is distributed under an open-source license. A popular example of a FOSS operating system is Linux, which is an open-source clone of the Unix operating system. Some other examples of FOSS are Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, Android OS, and Chrome OS.
There are many benefits to using a free operating system, the first being cost.